[ltp] X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 22:44:12 +0100

>> "Richard" == Richard Neill <rn214@richardneill.org> writes:

   > On 14/11/14 20:30, Uwe Brauer wrote:

   >> I don't mean that they changed the typing mechanism or the size of the
   >> keys, no I mean the distribution is changed dramatically, important keys
   >> are missing.
   >>
   >> Since I am a touch typist using the same keyboard  for the last 15 years,
   >> this is as close to disaster as it gets.
   >>

   > Some of the keyboard layout changes aren't actually that bad, most of
   > the missing functions are still there (eg Sysrq, PrtSc etc, even
   > Caps-lock (double-tap on shift)).

I never used CapsLock for me this was just a key which I
using xmodmap under linux  to the X modifier hyper.
   > There's even one clear improvement:
   > Ctrl is now where it should be (bottom left corner), while Fn has been
I beg to differ control should be where capslock was.

   > moved out of the way. Also, although the key-travel is reduced, it's
   > actually nice to type on.

I am using (X)emacs for more than 20 years (under Unix/Linux). I have
always switched the Caplock and control key, mapped the win key to super
modifier, caplock to the hyper hyper and bound all my emacs macros to
these modifies + fn keys+ print etc.

So having re arranged or removed theses keys  is a complete disaster for me, it
is like cutting of half my fingers.

   > The real gotchas are:

   > 1. That *horrible* LCD e-Ink / resistive touch-screen function key
   > replacement. It's annoying to have to mode-switch between Fn keys and
   > volume keys, especially as one can't feel where the keys are, and they
   > are really sluggish to respond to mode-changes or to actual
   > keypresses..

   > 2. The atrocious mess that is the clickpad: which requires far too
   > much force to operate it, and again is very awkward to use in
   > trackpoint mode.

   > 3. Lastly, if you get the touchscreen model, it's much less clear than
   > the non-touch versions: because the screen is more reflective as well
   > as less contrasty.

I hope lenovo will release at least one model with the classical
keyboard and sees what happens.. But realistically  that is very
unlikely.

Regards

Uwe