[ltp] Trying to get Suspend to RAM working on an X31 (John Magolske)

Alexandre Kalmeijer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Oct 2014 18:01:38 +0200

--14dae94749d9d31ddc0504af149c

Google for TLP and configure it to your needs.
RESTORE_DEVICE_STATE_ON_STARTUP= should solve your problems with
hibernation/sleep.
Hard disk spin down times are also included.
Good luck

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Dan Saint-Andre <saint@grillongroup.org>
wrote:

>  The last time I fought this issue, I learned that suspend-to-RAM [aka,
> sleep] required a suitable swap space.  With 16GB of ram, I never used any
> swap space and thus did not configure a swap file system.  Once I added
> swap partition, I got sleep to work.
>
> There are still some wrinkles with sleep operation.  These wrinkles are
> worse during suspend-to-disk [aka, hibernate].  Your video hardware might
> not wake up correctly. This depends a lot on what was going on, on screen,
> at the time you went to sleep. This usually involved low-battery event
> causing a sleep/hibernate event while the video was working at something
> like playing a video or similar.  For me, CTRL-ALT-BKSP (restart Xorg)
> usually fixed things.
>
> Some network hardware suffers from similar troubles when it wakes up.  It
> was rare that I could repair this with any sort of warm-restart of
> connections, drivers, or similar. I usually had to reboot.
>
> Both of the above were very hardware specific.
>
> Regards,
> ~~~ 0;-Dan

--14dae94749d9d31ddc0504af149c

STORE_DEVICE_STATE_ON_STARTUP=3D should solve your problems with hibernatio=
br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Dan Saint-And=
re <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:saint@grillongroup.org" target=
ss=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pa=
dding-left:1ex">
 =20

   =20
 =20
    The last time I fought this issue, I learned that suspend-to-RAM
    [aka, sleep] required a suitable swap space.=C2=A0 With 16GB of ram, I
    never used any swap space and thus did not configure a swap file
    system.=C2=A0 Once I added swap partition, I got sleep to work.<br>
    There are still some wrinkles with sleep operation.=C2=A0 These wrinkle=
    are worse during suspend-to-disk [aka, hibernate].=C2=A0 Your video
    hardware might not wake up correctly. This depends a lot on what was
    going on, on screen, at the time you went to sleep. This usually
    involved low-battery event causing a sleep/hibernate event while the
    video was working at something like playing a video or similar.=C2=A0 F=
or
    me, CTRL-ALT-BKSP (restart Xorg) usually fixed things.<br>
    Some network hardware suffers from similar troubles when it wakes
    up.=C2=A0 It was rare that I could repair this with any sort of
    warm-restart of connections, drivers, or similar. I usually had to
    reboot.<br>
    Both of the above were very hardware specific.<br>
    Regards,<br>
    ~~~ 0;-Dan<br>

--14dae94749d9d31ddc0504af149c--