[ltp] Re: Trying to get Suspend to RAM working on an X31

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:01:38 -0400

>     radeon 0000:01:00.0: firmware: failed to load radeon/R100_cp.bin
>     [drm:r100_cp_init] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!
>     radeon 0000:01:00.0: failed initializing CP (-12).
>     radeon 0000:01:00.0: Disabling GPU acceleration

> So per suggestions on a forum somewhere that discussed those error
> messages and a Radeon card (but not having to do with suspend issues)
> I installed the firmware-linux-nonfree package and those error
> messages went away.

Good.

> But the not-waking-from-suspend issue remained.
> Although now, instead of a blank screen I see vertical stripes, two
> clusters of three going from the bottom of the screen to the top.

Other than the display not being right, does the machine wake up
correctly (e.g. can you connect to it from the network?  or can you
blind-type and get the expected behavior in return?).

> in favour of pm-suspend. I don't think pm-suspend runs s2ram, as I
> un-installed uswsusp did `which s2ram` saw "s2ram not found" and
> and pm-suspend kept functioning as before.

pm-suspend can use various underlying mechanisms.  If s2ram is installed
(by default) it uses it, otherwise I think it uses /sys/power/state.

> I'm wondering if the issue is just that this is an old graphics card
> that is no longer supported... granted it is a pretty old machine by
> today's standards.

Usually support for old hardware is kept for a long time, so it's
unlikely, but of course possible (e.g. in my X30, the KMS code does not
handle my graphics card correctly, so I had to force the use of the
non-KMS code).

        Stefan