[ltp] Re: Trying to get Suspend to RAM working on an X31

John Magolske linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 18:00:46 -0700

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [141014 12:09]:
> Other than the display not being right, does the machine wake up
> correctly (e.g. can you connect to it from the network?  or can you
> blind-type and get the expected behavior in return?).

Blind-typing has no effect (e.g. `sudo halt -p`), still a stubbornly
frozen screen.

> > I'm wondering if the issue is just that this is an old graphics card
> > that is no longer supported...
>
> Usually support for old hardware is kept for a long time, so it's
> unlikely, but of course possible (e.g. in my X30, the KMS code does
> not handle my graphics card correctly, so I had to force the use of
> the non-KMS code).

What steps did you take to force the use of non-KMS code? Would that
be passing "nomodeset" to the kernel when booting? (tried that also,
to no effect).

*

I did learn a bit more running OpenBSD -- passing "disable radeondrm"
at boot I was able to successfully suspend and resume fine. The only
wrinkle is that the back light would turn on right after everything
went to sleep [1]. Well, that and no video acceleration.

Grasping at straws:

I read a post [2] mentioning the "Thinkvantage Configuration Utility".
Evidently you need to boot into Windows to run this utility. This was
for a different issue, but I'm wondering what configurations are in
there and where they are stored ... machine settings not available
via the BIOS? If I can dig up the hard-drive that has my old Windows
install on it I may look into this.

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/216558
[2] http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1171022

Regards,