[ltp] 100mbit only when docked?

Rubin Abdi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 22 Mar 2015 20:50:29 -0700

--AolexSQkMeESMVELiIIteIDPHWVTpGQS3

Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote on 2015-03-22 17:02:
> When plugged into the dock, you are not using the Ethernet chip in the
> laptop.  You are using the chip in the dock.  Same for the sound and th=
> video.  On my T520, the chip is a ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772A Fast
> Ethernet.  lsusb only reports support for 10Mb and 100Mb Ethernet.  Fas=
> Ethernet seems to be 100Mb.  Other chips support Gigabit Ethernet.

I don't actually see any new ethernet USB device after plugging into the =
dock, and I retain my previous mac address from when I'm plugged into the=
 ethernet port directly on the laptop. As far as I can tell it's the same=
 ethernet interface for both docks and not docked (other than the 100mbit=
/1000mbit issue).

The dock that I have connects to the laptop through the docking port on t=
he bottom of the laptop and not through USB, for what it's worth.

--=20
Rubin=20
rubin@starset.net=20