[ltp] Fwd: T450s mouse pointer freeze with Arch kernel 5.10.4 and 5.10.4

Paul Marwick paul.marwick at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 21:46:21 CET 2021

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the long delay in replying - been trying to work out what was
going on. And not getting very far....

I tried disabling lightdm and starting Xfce manuall. Made no difference,
the mouse pointer was still locked. I've also tried looking through the
Xorg log to see if there are any errors, but nothing shows up.

One thing that I have discovered is that the freeze is normally
temporary. After 2 -3 minutes, both touchpad and trackpoint start
working. Looking through the journal, I can't find any sign of error,
other than this:

systemd-udevd[214]: Worker [220] processing SEQNUM=2968 is taking a long
time
systemd-udevd[214]: Worker [220] processing SEQNUM=2968 killed
systemd-udevd[214]: Worker [220] terminated by signal 9 (KILL)
systemd-udevd[214]: event6: Worker [220] failedESC
zeta kernel: psmouse serio1: synaptics: queried max coordinates: x
[..5676], y [..4758]
zeta kernel: psmouse serio1: synaptics: queried min coordinates: x
[1266..], y [1096..]
zeta kernel: psmouse serio1: synaptics: Trying to set up SMBus access
zeta kernel: rmi4_smbus 0-002c: registering SMbus-connected sensor
zeta kernel: rmi4_f01 rmi4-00.fn01: found RMI device, manufacturer:
Synaptics, product: TM3053-004, fw id: 1741117
zeta kernel: input: Synaptics TM3053-004 as /devices/rmi4-00/input/input21
zeta kernel: serio: RMI4 PS/2 pass-through port at rmi4-00.fn03
zeta kernel: psmouse serio3: trackpoint: IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x0e,
buttons: 3/3

Which is around when the trackpoint and trackpad started working. No
idea what is causing it.

I am also seeing failures and restarts with lighdm on most boots and
some coredumps from xorg, though in both cases, they work without any
visible problems.

For the moment, I'm running the LTS kernel so I can actually do some
work on the machine, and trying the new 5.10.x kernels as they come
through in the hopes of the problem being fixed. I would love to be able
to work out what is going on, if only so I can raise a bug against the
relevant software.

Paul.